Summer Squash Salsa
Strainer, Mixing Bowl, Cutting Knife, Mixing Spoon
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Recipe makes 12 servings
Food Group Servings
1 can black beans, rinsed
6 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 green pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium red onion
1 medium summer squash, diced, peeled
4 tablespoons mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Adobo seasoning (combination or garlic, coriander, salt, and cumin)
- lemon or lime juice (2 Tablespoons, optional)
- fresh cilantro or dried parsely (optional)
Combine all ingredients except cheese. Let sit for 30 minutes.
Spoon over tortilla chips, cooked rice, or noodles.
Top with grated, part-skim mozzarella cheese. Serve hot or cold!
Tips & Tricks:
- Out of season idea – Use 1 can diced tomatoes in place of fresh tomatoes.
- Quick salsa – combine black beans, chopped summer squash, and a jar or your favorite salsa.
- Hot Salsa – Add chopped, fresh hot peppers or canned jalapeño peppers.
- Note: Nutrient breakdown and does not include cooked rice, tortilla chips, or noodles.
Recipe from Myplate.gov and Connecticut Food Policy Council