Building the Ideal Fruit Salad
Fruit salads are the ideal side dish to offer a sweet flavor that is loaded in key nutrients at any meal or snack. One serving of fruit is equal to 1 cup of fruit. We recommend that you aim for 1 cup if this is a single dish, or half a cup eating as a side dish for a meal.
Notes to Follow
- Aim to include at least 3 types of fruit:
- Different types help to make sure there is variety in flavor and health benefits.
- Categories include:
- Berries- Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries
- Stone Fruit- Apples, Pears, Plums, Peaches, Mangoes, Cherries
- Citrus Fruit- Grapefruit, Oranges
- Other- Honeydew,Watermelon, Banana, Pineapple, Grapes, Kiwi, Melon
- Try to pick different colors for different nutritional benefits (i.e. do not pick all orange fruit!)
Tips & Tricks
- You have a cup of fruit to work with, so for each fruit you choose, divide the cup by the number of fruit to get the portion sizes of each. (i.e. If you pick 3 fruit then each choice will have 1/3 cup in the bowl).
- Retaining ripeness is hard when it comes to fruit. If you have extra cut fruit, sprinkle on a little bit of lemon juice (or another citrus juice) after you are done, cover the container, and put the remaining fruit in the fridge to extend shelf life.
- Sprinkle on cinnamon to add to the flavor and more health benefits.