Tuna Nicoise Salad
Oven, Cutting Knife, Sauce Pan, Stove Top, Large Bowl, Baking Pan
This dish offers a lot more flavor and protein than your typical salad, helping to increase satiety once done!
Recipe makes 2 servings.
Food Group Servings
1 ~5 oz can of tuna, drained and rinsed
1 cup spring salad mix
1 cup green beans
12 cherry tomatoes or 1 large tomato
2 eggs, hard-boiled
1 russet potato, diced
1/2 teaspoon thyme (optional)
1/2 teaspoon of rosemary (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 dashes of salt (1 for the potatoes one for the salad)
- Ground black pepper- to taste
- Crushed red pepper- to taste
- Balsamic vinegar- to taste; we recommend 1/2 tablespoon per serving
Preheat your oven to 425 F. Bring water to a boil (enough to cover eggs). Drain/rinse your canned tuna.
Step 2 (Hard-Boiling Eggs):
Once your water is boiling, bring to low-medium heat, add eggs, and cover. Set a timer for 12 minutes, approximately the time it will take to hard boil the eggs. Once this timer goes off, place the 2 eggs into an ice bath to cool down.
Baking the Potatoes and Green Beans
While the eggs are boiling, cut up your potato into 1/2-1 inch size pieces.
Place the chopped potatoes and green beans in a mixing bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, a dash of salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, thyme, and rosemary to the bowl. Mix together.
Your oven should be ready to go. Separate the potatoes and green beans. Add only the potatoes to one half of the baking sheet and place them in the oven.
After 10 minutes, flip your potatoes and add the green beans to the other half of the baking sheet.
After 6 minutes, flip both the potatoes and green beans. They will remain in the oven until done or when they have cooked to your preference.
Step 8 (Prepping the Salad):
Place your spring mix and tomatoes in the bowl you used to mix the potatoes and green beans. Add the remaining olive oil and all the balsamic vinegar, a dash of salt and black pepper, and mix it all together.
Plate your salad, egg, and tuna. Check on your potatoes and green beans. If you are satisfied with the cooking level, plate them as well. Feel free to keep the ingredients separate as you eat or mix together to combine flavors!
Tips & Tricks:
- If you are a fan of spice, add more red pepper to the potatoes and green beans and consider adding it to the salad when you mix it. Cayenne can also add a serious kick.
- This salad will stay fresh for a few days, so for a meal prep, double the recipe and you have 4 meals. Just skip the salad mixing part for the extra tomatoes and spring mix.
- Adding some lemon juice over the top adds a nice citrus flavor and vitamin C boost!.