Shrimp Fried Rice
Saucepan, Cutting Knife, Frying Pan
A pretty simple, but flavorful dish. Make one serving for lunch or dinner, or meal prep this for a number of meals during the week!
Recipe makes 1 serving.
Food Group Servings
6 shrimp, frozen or fresh
1/4 cup brown rice (jasmine, basmati good also)
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/4 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons of soy sauce (ideally low sodium)
- Crushed red pepper- to taste
- Black pepper- to taste
Add 1/2 cup of water to your saucepan and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add in the 1/4 cup of brown rice, lower heat to a simmer, and cover until cooked (20-30 minutes).
The Vegetables and Shrimp
When your rice is halfway done, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan and bring to medium heat.
Once warm, add your vegetables and spices into the pan and mix it together to spread around the flavor. Stir occasionally until the vegetables soften.
Once your vegetables soften, which takes a little under 10 minutes, add in your shrimp and stir occasionally for another 5 minutes
Bringing it All Together
When everything is cooked, add your rice to the frying pan with the vegetables and mix them together. Then drizzle in the soy sauce and mix again. Enjoy!
For a little extra crisp, let the rice sit in the pan for a couple extra minutes. Just be careful of excess smoking in the pan.
Tips & Tricks:
- Ground ginger is a great spice to add as well for authentic flavor and great health benefits. Keep it below 1/2 tablespoon if you are concerned with spice.
- Extra red pepper flakes will give it extra spiciness.
- This recipe can also be done with chicken.
- Looking for more protein? Add in a scrambled egg as well.