Chicken Fried Rice
Saucepan, Cutting Knife, Frying Pan
A pretty simple, but flavorful dish. Make one serving for lunch or dinner, or meal prep this for a number of meals during the week!
Recipe makes 1 serving.
Food Group Servings
4 ounces chicken (palm-sized)
1/4 cup brown rice (jasmine, basmati good also)
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup broccoli florets, diced
1/4 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons of soy sauce (ideally low sodium)
- Crushed red pepper- to taste
- Black pepper- to taste
Add 1/2 cup of water to your saucepan and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add in the 1/4 cup of brown rice, lower heat to a simmer, and cover until cooked (20-30 minutes)
When your rice is halfway done, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan and bring to medium heat.
Once warm, add your chicken, vegetables, and spices into the pan and mix it together to spread around the flavor. After, stir occasionally until the vegetables soften and chicken cooked through.
Bringing it All Together
When everything is cooked, add your rice to the frying pan with the vegetables and mix them together. Drizzle in the soy sauce and mix again. Enjoy!
Note: For a little extra crisp, let the rice sit in the pan for a couple extra minutes. Just be careful of it causing excess smoking in the pan.
Tips & Tricks:
- Ground ginger is a great spice to add as well for authentic flavor and great health benefits. Keep it below 1/2 tablespoon if you are concerned with spice.
- Extra red pepper flakes will give it extra spiciness.
- This recipe can also be done with shrimp.
- Unsure if the chicken is cooked? Cut into the thickest piece and if the center is still pink, keep cooking.