Large pot, colander, large bowl, spoon
Try this quick and easy recipe made with staple ingredients easily found in your pantry!
Serving Size: 1 cup
Makes 10 servings! Cut recipe in half if serving less.
Food Group Servings
1 fifteen oz. can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
1 six ounce chicken breast, drained and rinsed
1 cup mixed vegetables, fresh or frozen
16 oz. whole-wheat pasta
- ½ cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
Bring a gallon-sized pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
Two minutes before pasta is finished cooking, add in the frozen mixed vegetables. Once pasta is cooked and vegetables are tender, drain into colander.
While pasta and vegetables are cooking, gently mix the rinsed and drained beans, chicken and salad dressing in a large bowl until combined.
Add the pasta and vegetables to the bowl and mix with the beans, chicken and salad dressing. Serve salad warm or cold.
Tips and Tricks:
- You can use tuna instead of chicken if you prefer.
- If you don’t like garbanzo beans (chickpeas), feel free to use any other bean.
- When choosing pasta shapes, look for smaller shaped shells (rotini, macaroni, shells) as it will mix in better with everything else!
- Try your favorite oil-based salad dressing instead of balsamic.
Recipe adapted from Eatright.org