What You Should Know About Depression
The Facts on Depression
Risk Factors & Strategies to Reduce Your Risk or Manage Your Symptoms
The following factors have been shown to increase your risk for depression and exacerbate your symptoms
Modifiable Factors: The following actions are controllable, and therefore, you should do your best to avoid as many of these actions as possible. If something is unavoidable, be conscientious about your other actions to help combat the risk!
Non-Modifiable Factors: The following cannot be changed. However, these factors are important to know, so you can be cognizant of your lifestyle choices and understand the circumstances!
Reduce Your Risk and Manage Anxiety with these Choices
- Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood
- Feelings of hopelessness, or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities
- Decreased energy or fatigue
- Moving or talking more slowly
- Feeling restless or having trouble sitting still
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
- Difficulty sleeping, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
- Appetite and/or weight changes
- Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts
- Aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems without a clear physical cause and/or that do not ease even with treatment
Are you Suffering from Depression?
Treatments for Depression
- Therapy: Forms of therapy include cognitive behavioral therapy and psychotherapy.
- Medications: Common medications include Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors (SSRI) and Serotonin and norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Meditation and Exercise: Exercise and meditation are two ways that you can make a huge, beneficial impact on your mental health.
Nutrition to Promote Mental Health
A major consensus is that diet plays a major role on your mood and long-term mental health. A diet full of fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, and whole grains are some of the key characteristics of an ideal diet.
Review what we have compiled as essential components of a diet to promote optimal health, including mental health, below.