Small bowl, Nonstick skillet, Fork or Whisk
Enjoy burritos? Like eggs? Put them together and try this breakfast burrito!
Recipe makes 1 burrito (1 serving)
Food Group Servings
2 large eggs
1/4 cup bell peppers, diced
1.5 cup onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup Reduced Fat Mexican Blend Cheese- any cheese besides American is approved
- 1 whole wheat flour tortilla (8 inch)
- 2 Tbsp salsa (canned or jarred)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/3 cup black beans, 1 tablespoon low fat milk
Spray a skillet with cooking spray (or wipe with oil or butter). Add diced bell peppers and onions to heated skillet and let heat up for a couple minutes.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk (if using), cheese, and black beans (if using), garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Add egg mixture to the skillet with peppers and onions. Stir constantly until eggs are cooked through.
You can heat up the tortilla in two ways: 1. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds 2. Heat over skillet. Spray a non stick skillet with cooking spray and heat up tortilla for approximately 1 minute on each side.
Place heated tortilla on a plate. Top with egg mixture, salsa and additional cheese if you like. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks:
- Try adding in a 1/4 cup fo rice for a more burrito feel. This will increase the carbohydrate amount provided in the health information.
- Avocados also make a great addition. Top with about 1/4 avocado. This will increase the fat amount provided in the health information.
- Look for lower sodium cheese and tortillas to reduce total sodium content.