Farmer's Breakfast Sandwich
Non-Stick Pan, Rubber Spatula, Knife, Toaster
Another small twist on your traditional breakfast sandwich. This sandwich is packed with protein to give you a strong start to your day! The use of both avocado and cream cheese gives this sandwich a unique flavor.
Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Recipe makes 1 serving.
Food Group Servings
Note: For food group purposes, avocado is being counted as a Nuts & Seeds serving here due to its fat content. Although a fruit, nutritionally, avocado is classified as a fat.
1 slice sourdough bread, cut in half
2 large eggs and 2 large egg white scrambled
2-4 slices of tomato
1/2 small haas avocado
- 2 slices turkey bacon
- ½ tablespoon low fat cream cheese
- Green onion (to taste)
Spray non stick pan(s) with Canola Oil Cooking Spray. Set on medium-medium high heat.
Note: If you have 2 pans you can use 1 for eggs and 1 for the turkey bacon.
Cook the turkey bacon to your liking. Once cooked, place over on paper towel to remove any extra oil.
In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 eggs and egg white. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place the whisked eggs in non-stick pan and scramble to preferred texture.
While eggs are cooking, cut the sourdough bread in half and place in the toaster for about 2-3 minutes.
Spread the cream cheese and avocado on the each slice of the sourdough bread. You can place both on 1 slice or mix and match, your choice!
On one slice (or each if you want it open faced), place the turkey bacon and eggs. Top with the sliced tomatoes and green onion. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks:
- If scrambled eggs aren’t your thing, you can cook over easy or over hard. In this case, only use 2 eggs!
- Although this meal appears high in fat, majority is the unsaturated fatty acids found in the avocado which is very beneficial for you overall heart health.
- If you want to reduce fat more, feel free to use only 1 egg yolk and 2 egg whites. We do recommend using at least 1 full egg to get the full nutritional benefit of eggs.
- If limiting protein due to kidney restrictions, use only 1 egg!
- Use 100% whole grain bread to increase fiber content.