Berry Nut Butter Crunch Bowl
Stove Top, Saucepan, Stirring Spoon
Recipe makes 1 serving.
Food Group Servings
1/4 cup dried rolled oats
1/4 cup frozen mixed berries
1/2 cup skim milk or milk alternative
1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1 tbsp (1 scoop) nut butter
1/2 medium banana
1/2 tbsp cinnamon (or to taste)
2 tbsp granola
- pinch of salt
- sweetener (ideally maple syrup or honey)- to taste
Add the 1/2 cup of milk/milk alternative/water to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, bring the temperature down to a low setting, and add in the oats, berries, sweetener, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt into the saucepan.
Once added stir the contents rapidly for 30 seconds to a minute- the oats should start turning into a pinkish color. Then stir intermittently until the oats are softened and ready to be consumed.
Note: the amount you stir is up to you, but the more you stir the sweeter and more berry-flavored the oats will be!
Once complete, pour the contents from the saucepan into a bowl and top with the other ingredients you want to add (granola, banana, etc.)
- Optional: mix the ingredients in the bowl to combine flavors. Alternatively leave separate to keep ingredients apart while consuming.
Tips & Tricks
- Not a fan of granola or want a different crunch? Try seeds like flaxseed, chia seed, or hemp seed instead to still have the fiber rich benefit.
- Feel free to make the oats the night before and keep in the fridge overnight to save yourself some time in the morning.
- Recipe uses dairy milk, but feel free to use a milk alternative or water. Note this will affect nutrition information (e.g. lower protein, carbohydrate, calcium, potassium amounts).